The Waln House (323 3rd St. NE)
This two-story brick house is a landmark in the Mount Vernon community. Built c.1856, the house sits on a high hill overlooking the town from the east end of 3rd Street NE.
The house was actually built in two sections, the first having been the two-story, side-gabled front section that faces west. The second addition built in 1900 consists of the rear section that housed the kitchen, dining room and two upstairs bedrooms.
All of the brick is locally-made, reddish-orange soft mud bricks. The foundation is built of locally-quarried limestone blocks that have been painted white on the exterior.