The Shantz House (303 A Ave. SE)
This two-story brick house is located at the southwest corner of A Avenue SE and 3rd Street SE in Mount Vernon.
The house was built in 1882 by blacksmith Martin Shantz as his family home. His blacksmith shop sat in the backyard to the west of the house where the extant garage is now located.
The house is built with locally-manufactured bricks, but the walls have the appearance of a veneer on the exterior. The foundation is also built with local material being built of rough-cut limestone blocks. The house was originally built without a porch, with the extant porch added in the early 20th century.