Holiday House, 1954-1969
The Holiday House Restaurant was opened in May 1954 by Dewey & Dorothy Humphries and Roy & Dorothy Johnson. Don Horton, owner of the Mount Vernon Motel, suggested that a restaurant would be nice to have next door. From the suggestion the Holiday House was built. The restaurant became a popular stop for people traveling on Highway 1 & 30 and a meeting place for local groups such as the Lions, Rotary and Chamber of Commerce.